At Wed In Harmony, I want the wedding couple to be empowered by their music. It's the soundtrack to the biggest day of their lives! Many people enjoy "Canon in D" for it's beauty and traditional value. I want your opinion. Do you think it's a tradition or evidence that a bride did not put a lot of thought into her music?

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have played music at a lot of weddings and it seems that if a bride picks something with meaning to them with a classical sound it works the best. Try to find the instrumental version of your favorite song and see if it works for you. Karaoke versions are like an instrumental that just might work for your needs and might find more up to date songs. Let me know what you use for your walk down the aisle. Thanks DJ Mikey Mike www.directsound.com
I'm not sure if that really answers the question, but thanks for your reply.
As a Harpist, I love Canon in D.
I think it is one of the most beautiful pieces for the processional, especially on harp, and it is infinitely adaptable to many circumstances.
However, Pachelbel's Canon is not the "traditional" bridal march - and I find that many people do not feel that it is the preferred processional.
I find that most of my clients are more interested in beautiful music than in"tradition".
While my preference is for Canon in D, I also play a lot of non-traditional pieces for the processional and recessional, because I specialize in Renaissance music.
There is a lot of beautiful music which can be used for a wedding, and the "traditional" pieces are not always what the couple prefer.

To specifically answer your question:
Many of my clients also believe that the professional musician they are hiring is the best person to determine appropriate musical selections
Perhaps that is lazy, or is it rather, acknowledgment of our expertise ?
Stacy,

Now that is interesting! Brides considering their musicians experts. That makes sense. Actually, I am a musician and I specialize in helping brides choose music as a consultation and research service. So then I pose another questions; do you think that musicians stick to more traditional music because they are familiar with it, or becasue they are afraid what might happen if they suggest something out of the box?
I don't really know about other musicians, but suspect that they play only what is requested of them (the traditional pieces.)
After all, one does have to make a living, and that means making the client happy !
The music that I prefer to play is not "traditional", and many of my clients choose me because of that.
I do play some of the traditional wedding pieces, because they have been requested repeatedly.
However, when I meet with a client, I play Renaissance or Medieval pieces for them; they usually love the music, and don't worry about being non-traditional.
I do worry sometimes that I do not get gigs because I do not play some of the traditional pieces that are requested.
Of course musicians will play what is requested of them. I guess I mean the boldness of suggesting a more mordern or less used piece when the couple is not sure what they want.
About half of the couples I work with come with an idea of the music they want. Most of those have chosen their music before they hire me, so there's usually no way to change their minds. The other half usually wants help choosing music and of those, about half want something that sounds traditional but is a little different. I have some wonderful music written for harp by harpists that I suggest to those people and they are always thrilled. It's also important to consider the instruments one uses in choosing music. While we all play the Pachelbel Canon, there are often other pieces that are similar but better suited to the instrument chosen by the bride. A professional music should be able to give expert advice to a couple. When I've hired musicians myself, I always ask them what their favorite choices are because those are the pieces that will be the most polished and sound the best in their hands.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Christine Dyer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service