As a wedding planner approaching my one-year mark, I have experimented with different payment options for my clients which typically range around $800.  I originally began by asking for 50% down as a non-refundable save-the-date fee for day-of coordination services.  However, I've been leaning more towards changing to $100 to reserve the date and then the remainder is due before the wedding date.

Has anyone else tried this?  And what do you require as a deposit and why?

Views: 10634

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a decorator, I always required a 50% non-refundable payment against the balance.  This is due at contract signing and the remainder is due 2-weeks prior to the date.  Usually, I have expenses and things that have to be shipped that have to be ordered in advance; I don't want to stand that cost myself. 

The only time I wavered on the non-refundable part was when the bride's mother died the week before the ceremony.  Instead of refunding, however, I held the money and told her I would apply it toward the total if she had her ceremony within 6 months.  She and the groom had been living together for 16 years, had a 17-yr old son together, and were only having the ceremony for her mother's sake.  They did have the ceremony just short of 6-months after her mother's passing, but so many details had changed that it was considerably different than the original plan, and more expensive because of supplier price changes.  In the end, she stiffed me on payment of the second half by refusing to pay her credit card bill.

Many wedding planners I know require the entire fee up front; non-refundable.  Only one Master Planner I know allows her clients to "pay what the services are worth" on the day.  She never fails to receilve more than she would have asked for, but she does an amazing job.

That is one more reason NOT to accept credit cards!  Unless a vendor wants to go to court (how many of us want to have the negative publicity that would cause!), cash, personal check (far in advance!), or bank check is the only way to go.
I am also a wedding planner. The question to be asking yourself if how much work (time) do you put in during the time of the contract to the event?  I always get my last payment 30 days prior to the event. For instance, if I am hired for "day of" (which I don't do - I will do "month of") 3 months before the event, then I get 50% retainer and the rest the next month.  If I am hired 6 months before, then I get 25% down, and the remainder spread over the next 4 months.  I take no less than 25% retainer.  When I get a contract, I immediately start organizing my time, paperwork, etc.  So I never refund the retainer.  It is for services rendered, and states that in my contract.  Don't sell yourself short on what you are worth.  $100 down in my opinion is way too low.

I make custom wedding cake toppers and require a $100 nonrefundable deposit (subtracted from the total) to secure a spot on my calendar. I used to make the deposit 1/3 of the total, but with all the added accessories and different types of toppers, it was becoming a pain to whip out the calculator each time. So, I set up a page on my site that has a drop down menu for making automatic payments in increments of $50. SO much easier to just direct potential clients to my payment page and when I get the receipt in my email I put their name down on my calendar.

I am a Event Coordinator. I have always have my clients sign a contract and require 25% retainer non-refundable, and the remainder of the balance due 3 weeks prior the event, if canceling 30 days prior the event. My problem now is that I have my first client out of the US. I am trying to find the best way to send her a contract to sign, do I email it to her or mail it?
I would both mail a contract as well as email one. That way if she doesn't get one, she will have the other one. to sign. Also, I would have her sign one and email it back and mail one too. Then you are covered.

I email my contracts to int. brides and they send it back by signed, and scanned to my e-mail.

It works great, especially because this way you know immediately if she got the contract or not and answer all questions quickly.

Thank you, I was thinking that I would do just that and I am adding other 25% so it will be 50% retainer

Never email a documents that can be modified by the recipient, such as a Microsoft Word file or text file!

Always print and scan your contract.  Send it as a PDF file; nearly everyone can view and print it, and those who don't have the PDF reader can download a free one.

We ask for $100.00 non-refundable booking fee and a signed contract.  That way they don't go oh, this guy will do the job for $50.00 less, lets get him.  I would reccommend allowing the bride to keep a retainer (say maybe owe you $100.00 the day of the event).  That way you show her you will be there for her and not skip out.
As a wedding planner I require 50% deposit and monthly payments for the balance with final payment being due 1 month prior to the wedding date. As a designer, florist event props and linens, I ask for 50% down and balcnce due after rsvps at least 3 weeks prior to the wedding. This weeds out looky lous. This is a very professional way to go. I offer 5% discounts for those who pay in full. It works, 20 years of proof!

I have a wedding cakes business, and after more than 5 years I worked out this method:

the bride pays 30% when signing the contract. But she also leave another cheque for the remainder 70% due a couple of days after the wedding. If she has a cake that requires a cake stand she will also leave a cheque as collateral with the wedding date and she signs in the contract that it is her responsibility to return the stand within a week from the wedding, clean and in the same condition she got it. If the stand isn't returned on time and we can't get the bride to return it, or if it comes back broken, I cash the cheque. (This usually doesn't happen-they want the cheque back so they return my cake stands on time)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Christine Dyer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service