Do you know what your parents are supposed to help you with at your wedding? Do they know? Parents of the Bride do have responsibilities. Often times, however, the parents themselves aren’t sure exactly what to do or what is expected of them. Make sure to take the time to sit down with them and discuss these things with them. Some things you may not want them to be involved it, whereas there also may be things not listed you are hoping for their assistance with. It is all about communication. Parents are usually eager to help make your day special, so allow them to.
Mother of the Bride
- Make sure to coordinate your outfit once you know the color scheme your daughter has chosen for the wedding.
- Contact the mother of the groom to tell her the color scheme once you know it so she can coordinate her outfit as well.
- Attend and possibly assist the Maid/Matron of Honor with the bridal shower
- Often times the mother will help her daughter choose her wedding dress. Find out if your daughter wants you there; honor what she wants.
- Traditionally you will have a dance with the groom.
- Help compile and names and addresses of family that your daughter needs to mail her wedding invitations to (People on her guest list, not people you believe should attend.)
Father of the Bride
- Escort daughter down the aisle and “give her away”
- Often is responsible for monitoring the alcohol
- Should be the last to leave the reception
- Settles outstanding bills
- During the reception you will have a dance with the bride in the traditional father-daughter dance.
- Help host the rehearsal dinner
- Assist the bride or groom in clean up after the reception is over
- Be supportive