As many of us are aware many of the recent brides are on very tight budgets. So the brides have been turning to DIY to save money. Now I am a huge fan of DIY for those who have the time and are creative. But most brides don't realize the time and money that goes into DIY. Especially when mistakes are made.
As vendors what can we do to either embrace this movement or convice the brides they can get what they need with a professional. My initial idea is to encourage couples to review their guest lists. Suddenly a budget of $5,000 can go a lot further when the list goes from 150 to 75.

Views: 830

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Candis, thanks for sharing. You just proved the point that I've tried to instill in brides for eons. There are many ways to save on your wedding budget but the two places you absolutely want to splurge on (or at least spend whatever it takes) is your photography and videography. Besides the too-expensive dress you may have sitting in your closet, your videos and photos are the only two tangible things you will have forever from your wedding. They should be done right and they should be done by a professional who is under contract by you. This way you have some control.

I'm sorry that you're disappointed with your photos and that you haven't seen your video yet.

Phyllis Cambria
Examiner.com
www.examiner.com/x-27776-Miami-Wedding-Planning-Examiner
WeddingPlansPlus.com
I am surprised that you had a planner and still had to follow up on things. Even a semi-DIY bride who works with a planner should be able to know that whatever the planner has agreed to be in charge of (or was hired to be in charge of) should be handled efficiently and completely without the bridal couple having to even think about much less follow up on. That type of inefficiency makes us all look bad and that's really unfortunate.

Sometimes free, a gift or even a discount isn't worth the price.

Good luck with your plans to work with brides on a budget.
I have heard this many times-about photography. I know nothing about photography, but I always encourage the couple to make sure this is one area they KNOW will be good. I also suggest that they have a list of photos wanted of the day. I have had brides who spent $$$ on photos and the photographer took NO photos of areas which normally would be wanted by any bride. Couples should keep the power of authority . The should trust the professionalism of the provider, but always make their expectations & desires known . You are so right about working with them- The couple should not have regrets later in life of what they sacrificed on THEIR day because a professional told them a certain area could be cut or removed.
As wedding professionals, we are tasked with assisting where needed. If brides turn to DIY that is great for them and we should be encouraging. However, we should also provide them with guidance, letting them know that doing things DIY also has its price - if there are errors, they need to troubleshoot those errors. Do they want to do it on their wedding day? No. Having a wedding professional there to troubleshoot and tend to everything so they can enjoy their very special day with their new spouse, new in-law family, their own family, and friends, makes more sense. It is all about creative persuasion. Isn't that a part of our business concept - "creative persuasion"? Happy new year, everyone.
Like every wedding, everyone's view on this will be different. For those of you who say what the guests will remember,I believe you would fail with that statement in court as you can not see into another persons mind. The priorities of the couple should be respected and understood. This is not to say they can not be worked with.
DIY brides are on the rise, and what is on the decline is the willingness of professionals who want come together ,all tweeking their own professional area to create a wonderful day without to much sacrifice on the couples part.It takes a village....
Maybe the candy table is not NECESSARY, but if it what the couple wants, then so be it-scale it down - left over candy, left over flowers, left over food? why not donate the candy to a local special needs school ,church or group which could use it for a good purpose. Flowers to a retirement home- we always forget about the unseen, the food to a local shelter if allowed by local ordinances.
Stacey Harrel's road is a great one, it is better to assist and teach the couple what is involved. The factors of budget, theme and skill level are very important and also area you work- a small rural town versus miami beach .
Reality shows and diy programs are often very misleading in as they do not show the REALITY of behind the scenes , and between the lines of production. Most brides love to watch wedding shows - weddings with HUGE budgets and get the notion of what they could have but forget that their BUDGET won't allow for it.
The wedding industry is difficult enough without everyone telling a couple where they should cut and what they don't need. Like the saying goes- walk in my shoes... the reality is we have to keep it honest and keep the couple in the real world. Often Professionals hurt one another by not working together for the good of the couple. Educate the couple on that is involved for your service and honestly charge accordingly. If people know what they are paying for, they often are more comfortable with the price. If you want to offer all inclusive for a couple if you are a venue, then work with area vendors and use different ones to create the wedding the couple expects. We don't choose the couples, they choose us. It is their day after all. DIY does not mean we lose business, we just have to think outside the box.
I have actually just re-invented my business to be more of a resource and consultant for the DIY bride. I have found that the traditional roles of wedding planning may have to start changing in order to cater to the 'new' bride. This will be my official press release which explains a bit of how I'm changing things up (I've had good reaction from vendors, so hopefully the bride will follow):

LifEvents® by Shauna Henry Revamps Business to Provide More Resources for the Wedding Couple

LifEvents® by Shauna Henry is restructuring its business to help people celebrate the most memorable times of their life by NOT offering the traditional wedding planning packages. “After years of helping people plan their weddings and events, I have found that more and more Do It Yourself brides need help, but can’t afford to pay a traditional planner’s fee. I want to help the DIY bride by guiding her along the process so she remains fully in control, but with a professional who can steer her away from the pitfalls,” says LifEvents® founder, Shauna Henry (http://www.lifeventsbysh.com).

After 10 years in the event and wedding planning business, Shauna has recently done some soul-searching. She has been reminded why she got into the wedding and event planning business. “I am in this business because I love to help people celebrate the most memorable times of their life. I am not, however, in this business to hard-sell people on how or why I am the best person for the job. That was clearly my mistake to think I could dive headfirst into this business without having to be a salesperson.”

Shauna says that she loves to write, loves to design, loves to be creative and LOVES to help people design and plan their weddings and events. “I think DIY’ing it is a fabulous idea if you have the time and don’t have the money to hire someone to do it all for you (or if you’re just uber creative). With that said however, being uber creative doesn’t automatically mean you’ll be able to plan a large event like a wedding without any pitfalls.” Shauna has been doing this for over 10 years now and has come to the realization that she wants to give her clients (mostly brides) the benefit of her experience so they can utilize her knowledge to help them “DIY” their wedding or event to perfection.

LifEvents® by Shauna Henry is transitioning its business from a traditional wedding planner to a ‘true consultant’. LifEvents® will be a consultant and resource for all those who are DIY’ing their weddings and events. Shauna states, “I was a DIY bride. I literally did everything except make the food (except I did make all the cupcakes) and sew my dress. I love to be creative, I love to help people and I love to design. I want to be here to answer any questions brides have. I want to showcase fantastic vendors that I’ve had the pleasure of working with so the client, can utilize these great people. I want to showcase their fabulous weddings and for them to tell me and show me (send in those pics ladies) of what they DIY’ed in their wedding.”

LifEvents® by Shauna Henry is transitioning its wedding planning business to the business of wedding and event blogging (visit LifEvents® blog at http://www.offbeatweddingplanner.com). LifEvents® will still be available to you if you would like to hire them for specific wedding consultations – they will be able to provide you with the inside scoop on who they recommend to hire for your wedding day needs, help you with etiquette questions and more. LifEvents® by Shauna Henry will be able to do this for you at a fraction of the cost of most planners because they will do most of the consultations by phone or email (which will help you not have to take time off from work). LifEvents® will blog about great new items, vendors and fun DIY items. LifEvents® will provide many great options, ideas, crafts and resources for all the brides who are wanting to be a part of the creation process of their wedding, aka the DIY Brides.
Yes, indeed, the economic crisis leading to many future brides to make by themselves a few things. But in reality are just few and the cost perhaps not so obvious. That's why I think we should help them in these difficult circumstances to make the right moves to save money.
First of all is to limit the number of their guests. To make cheaper invitations even better if they can handle the photoshop so they can make the invitations themselves. To use favors environmentally friendly in order to have some meaning, rent their wedding gown rather than buy , put fewer flowers in decoration or something cheaper but elegant. The wedding cake does not need to be huge may be less. DJ can take place instead music format costs more expensive. But they are not allowed to serve poor quality food or photographer who is not a professional.
In my opinion the good quality food, personalized music and the photographer are the key elements that make the wedding unforgettable.
Yes, indeed, the economic crisis leading to many future brides to make themselves a few things. But in reality are just few and the cost perhaps not so obvious. That's why I think we should help them in these difficult circumstances to make the right moves to save money.
First of all is to limit the number of their guests. To make cheaper invitations even better if they can handle the photoshop so they can make the invitations themselves. To use favors environmentally friendly in order to have some meaning, rent their wedding gown rather than buy , put fewer flowers in decoration or something cheaper but elegant. The wedding cake does not need to be huge may be less. DJ can take place instead music format costs more expensive. But they are not allowed to serve poor quality menu or photographer who is not a professional.
In my opinion the good quality food, the choice of music and the photographer are the key elements that make the wedding unforgettable.
Aside from food, Waterford Receptions works to make DIY as easy as possible. We often have brides make their own centerpieces, bouquets, cakes, menus and placecards! DIY is a great way to show the personality of the couple, as well as to save some money! www.waterfordreceptions.com
You could also suggest a local floral studio that has DIY packages where the Bride can come in and have some lessons on how to make floral with some of her Bridal party! All while being instructed and guided by a trained professional! www.blossomstx.com
I love this topic. The wedding industry, at the national and local level, could start a movement to show photos of what a less expensive wedding can look like. As long as the images and attention are paid to high end weddings, or to DIY weddings that are very hard to replicate, the more the DIY bride will struggle and vendors will struggle (because the best DIY weddings seem to always involved skilled individuals donating/time or effort and extremely creative couples willing through enormous energy, usually with fantastic families willing to pitch in or support the "unwedding.")

Weddings are emotional. I agree there is no way to tell a couple where their priorities should lie. I also agree it's deeply sad when couples ax important people to save money (important defined as important to a key stakeholder, even if not the bride or groom.)

No bride wants to be on the frontier of a low-end wedding movement. No bride wants her ONE Princess Day to not meet its maximum potential.

If we go back to the baby boomer generation, the wedding was simple cake and punch in the church basement. There were regional differences, and social class differences, but this is is generally what grandparents and parents experienced. Guests lists did not have such a massive impact on the budget, because the budget was small. There weren't all these extras. Relatives pitched in to photograph, do the cake, sew dresses.

We're never going to return to those times. Too much as changed and there is too much fun in wedding planning. :)

Questions Every Bride Should Ask Vendors gets to this issue. If vendors were very grounded, they would be willing to be creative and share their wisdom, or to be VERY honest and sincere, donating some of their time to helping couples rearrange their image of the wedding and where they can save money. This would be highly personalized advice for the couple, not some trite "candy favors are unnecessary compared to a limo" advice. But this will require vendors to drop their anti-sales pitch for what they view as "easy ways to save elsewhere."

I also think denying the desire to splurge is silly. When to splurge helps people get to their heart of why they want to spend more than they originally thought.
Um, while I agree with much you have to say, and you're right about some places having less expensive weddings that were definitely DIY. However, as a baby boomer, I have to disagree a little. My parents had the very basicpunch, cookies and sandwich wedding in the church basement. But 38 years ago, I had a full reception with a band, cocktail hour, multi-course dinner, Viennese table, professional photographer and so forth in a lovely catering hall. And, no, we weren't even close to being rich. My dad was a sanitation worker. But the very simple wedding period ended quite a few years before the boomers unless you lived in rural America.

Of course my wedding was nowhere near as over-the-top as the bride's today but it was hardly as basic as you might think. And, we had Brides Magazine back then too and if you look back at the weddings that were featured then, they also were catered affairs.

Just something else I wanted to clear up. I was the one who had posted the questions about the things that brides might want to cut out to save money.

I meant them as that. Questions. Not a statement where a couple should cut expenses. I just think that if you gave the bride some options and asked her some questions so she could focus on those things that were TRULY important to her, then we would be doing our job as educators/planners. The bride would ultimately make up her own mind about what she really needed to have to make her day perfect. We are just giving her options and suggestions based upon our expertise and experience. If she wants to spend her entire budget on her gown and a candy station, I'm all for it. It's her wedding. (Although I would try to STRONGLY urge her to spend what she could on a professional photographer and videographer.)

(Just wanted to clear up the confusion on my post.) :)

Phyllis Cambria
Examiner.com
www.examiner.com/x-27776-Miami-Wedding-Planning-Examiner
WeddingPlansPlus.com
The DIY movement is born of economics and the wedding industry would be wise to advise their clients the same way they run their own businesses. Efficiency and value matter, but not as much as the cash position.

Rather than cut a guestlist, why not have a wedding on a day other than Saturday allowing vendors and venues to save overhead dollars and make more per event profit by increasing capacity? Rather than negotiating discounts and expecting Tiffany service, advise your clients about vendor's businesses and how they can negotiate discounts for less service or eliminating/putting off the parts of that service that aren't immediate. Not only that, but cashflow is more valid than even budget. It's not that they won't ever have the money, they just don't have it right now... I have brides that are choosing to not purchase a wedding album at this time, streamlining their cashflow by a reduction of up to $2400 and putting that off for until the one year anniversary. I also offer discounts for referrals. Between my initial booking date and when they do finally order their albums, I'll give them a $50 credit for every bride they refer to me. It's a win/win and can save them a fortune and be a boone for my business as well because I'll advertise less.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Christine Dyer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service