When it comes to event design and especially weddings, one of the most important and underappreciated aspects is lighting. How you light up the room can change its feel, highlight what you want people to focus on, and hide what you do not want them to see. When it comes to lighting up your wedding, you have several different elements that you should consider as follows:
- Uplighting – Many times this tends to be colored light that is then projected from a unit that has been placed on the floor. The light shines up and works wonders when used to add colors that add to the ambiance of the room. All you have to do is dim or do away with your overhead lighting for a spectacular result.
- Hanging lights – These work very well if you will be using a ball room. However, you can still have them even with outdoor events. With a chandelier, for example, you will bring elegance into the room. Hanging lights can really make the room look amazing.
- Pinspotting – This is where you use light to focus on a particular element that you would like to stand out in the room. Usually the light is white and bright. If the room you will be using is dark and you would like décor elements such as the cake and your centerpiecesto stand out, you should consider it. Usually the light comes from above and is then focused narrowly. You can use one pinspot or multiple depending on what you want. You will most likely need a lighting truss for this.
- String lights - Depending on the theme of your wedding, you may consider using market or sting lights. These work wonders for laidback or rustic weddings and can be used in the reception, cocktails space and even during the ceremony. The idea is to create an environment that is casual so that they feel like they were a DIY project. You will need to have professionals help you in putting them up and keeping them there since they tend to be heavy.
- Monograms & Patterns – To add a personal touch to the day, you should think of having your names or a monogram projected on a wall or on your dance floor with light. You may also consider using light patterns to enhance your wedding theme. If you are going with an under the sea theme, then a light pattern of sea creatures on the wall can really enhance that.
If you have decided that you would like to use light to enhance your event, you should speak to your DJ first and then speak to other rental companies that will be able to offer you the services you are looking for. You should definitely speak to an event lighting company about this or ask your event planner, if you have one, to look into it for you. There are many options and styles available and a good company will be at the venue in time to make sure that your lights are up.